Upgrade CentOS 5.4 PHP 5.2 to PHP 5.3

1. Stop HTTPD

service httpd stop

2. Remove all previous PHP installations

yum remove php

yum remove php-*

3. Set up EPEL/IUS Repo

wget http://dl.iuscommunity.org/pub/ius/stable/Redhat/5/x86_64/ius-release-1.0-11.ius.el5.noarch.rpm
wget http://dl.iuscommunity.org/pub/ius/stable/Redhat/5/x86_64/epel-release-5-4.noarch.rpm
rpm -Uvh ius-release*.rpm epel-release*.rpm

note the red texts should be checked and updated depending on if the CentOS is 32bit or 64bit version. The versions of the rpm files could update too. please check before you run the command.

4. Install PHP 5.3

yum install php53u

yum install php53u-pear php53u php53u-cli php53u-common php53u-devel php53u-gd php53u-mbstring php53u-mcrypt php53u-mysql php53u-pdo php53u-soap php53u-xml php53u-xmlrpc php53u-bcmath php53u-pecl-apc php53u-pecl-memcache php53u-snmp

 

—-

note php 5.3 by default disable short open tag <? code…. ?>, so you want to modify your php.ini and change it to

short_open_tag = On

 

Read More

SharePoint Publishing Site Slow to Load Pages: An unexpected error occured while manipulating the navigational structure of this Web

One of our SharePoint Web Application is running extremely slow. It often takes about 2 to 3 minutes to load one single page. All other web applications are running as fast as they should be.

Called DBA and DBA reported there are blockings in the content database. It comes and goes.

Looked into SharePoint Logs and here is what we found:
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Transaction (Process ID 212) was deadlocked on lock resources with another process and has been chosen as the deadlock victim. Rerun the transaction
PortalSiteMapProvider was unable to fetch children for node at URL: /subsite, message: An unexpected error occured while manipulating the navigational structure of this Web.

It looks like something wrong with this subsite’s navigations.

Went to navigation settings on the root level of the site: http://sharepoint_site/_layouts/AreaNavigationSettings.aspx and removed /subsite from the global navigation. Click OK button and the site is as fast as before.

Except the /subsite. Tried to open http://sharepoint_site/subsite/_layouts/AreaNavigationSettings.aspx but it is almost impossible to get the page load.

Opened the subsite using SharePoint designer, navigate into Pages library. Removed all recently modified publishing pages. Went back to the browser to test the site, and it was gooooooooooooood.

Restore the page one by one, surprisely the issue didn’t occur.

I believe somehow there is a stalled update in the navigations. It never finished and always tried to update the database. By resetting the navigation, it cleared the issue out.

 

 

Read More

SharePoint 2010 Sent To: E-mail a Link not working

One of our SharePoint 2010 sites has an issue that “E-Mail a link” not working for the documents. This feature is to allow users to conveniently send out a link to a document on SharePoint, by click the dropdown menu of the file.

Did some research and found out it was caused by the masterpage. We upgraded our SharePoint site from SharePoint 2007 to SharePoint 2010, but the look and feel is still SharePoint 2007. We have not performed the Visual Upgrade yet. In other words, we are still using the V3 masterpage. And this masterpage has been customized before.

Solution:

Use SharePoint Designer to open the customized default.master. Add the following code into <HEAD></HEAD>

   <SharePoint:SPPageManager runat=”server”/>

Save the file and go back to your site. Try the function again.

Read More

Managed Property does not filter PDF, DOCX, DOCM, JPG files

We have two simple scopes defined based on a field called “status” for the files in a document library. The field value is either “Active” or “Archived”.

User complains she couldn’t find a document in the “Active” documents scope. That document was indeed set “Active” in the status field. This document is a Microsoft Office 2010 version word document ending with “.docx”. I tried to do another search for a “Active” PDF document and couldn’t find it in the search result either. Same thing happens for “DOCM” and “JPG” files. “DOC” and “XLS” files work just fine.

Also if I search the document in site level, they do show up in the results. that means they are being indexed.

I looked at the scope definition and found there are 597 documents in the scope. However I can see there are 635 documents in the document library marked as “Active”. The difference is the total count of those non-Office 2003 documents.

I tried to removed the rule of “Managed property” from the scope and leave another rule (folder based rule), and the document shows up in the results.

Based on the above facts, I suspect there is something wrong with managed property. Did some googling using keywords “Managed Property PDF” and located this page:

“On further investigation, we found that the particular column with the issue was a “Date and time” type column. However, the managed property had been mapped to a crawled property with the correct name “Date of origination” but of type “Text”. This mostly worked, but not for pdf files. When we re-mapped the managed property to the crawled property with the name “ows_Date_x0020_of_x0020_origination” and type “Date and Time”, and did a fresh full crawl, it worked correctly.”

It was exactly what happened to me. I went into the managed property and tried the mapping again. Added “ows_Status” as the new mapping. Performed a full crawl. Problem went away.

Read More