Our SharePoint 2010 farm displays the first 10 words or so instead of the title set in SharePoint for Word Documents. This is not a bug, but by design. A fix can be done through registry change.
- Open registry for editing by typing “regedit.exe” in Start > Run
- Navigate to the key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office Server\14.0\Search\Global\Gathering Manager]
- Change the hexadecimal value for EnableOptimisticTitleOverride to 0 (zero) on the right hand side.
- Restart SharePoint Search service by typing the following commands in command prompt.Perform a full crawl
- net stop osearch14
- net start osearch14
- Perform a full crawl.
- Test your search results again.